My nut free cinnamon and oat protein balls make a delicious energy boosting snack. Keep them in your freezer for when you get a craving for a sweet treat.
Cinnamon is not only delicious, it can actually help regulate blood sugar by improving insulin sensitivity, making insulin more efficient at moving glucose into cells.
Oats are high in fibre and a good source of protein, both of which also help balance blood sugar, improve gut health and keeps us feeling full. Oats have been shown to help manage healthy cholesterol levels, but ensure you use the traditional oats, not the quick oats, as they are processed and will not have the same positive impact on blood sugar or gut health.
Medjool dates have a delicious caramel taste, they are high in magnesium, selenium, calcium and potassium, while they are high in natural sugars, they are also a good source of fibre slowing the glucose response and making them a better choice than palm dates. Enjoy in moderation.
Cinnamon & Oat Protein Ball Ingredients
- 2 cups of traditional rolled oats or quinoa flakes
- 8 Medjool dates – seed removed
- 2 tablespoons of coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- Add oats and coconut flakes to food processor and pulse a few times to break down into a grainy flour.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until it forms a thick, sticky dough you can easily press between your fingers. If dry add 1 teaspoon of warm water and process again.
- Use your hands to roll into 20 balls or press into a baking tray and cut into 2 cm cubes once set in the fridge or freezer.
- Keep in the fridge or freezer.