My family friendly quinoa and herb salad makes a delicious side dish to your favourite protein or a lovely light and fresh lunchtime salad.
Quinoa is packed with protein and fibre. It is gluten free and so easy to prepare. Cook it using the absorption method just like rice, but reduce the quantity of water to quinoa just a little. Once cooked add a splash of olive oil and squeeze of lemon juice and allow to cool.
In this recipe I recommend using basil, parsley, corriander and/or mint, but you can use whatever combination of herbs you enjoy or whatever you have on hand, Rocket, water cress or baby spinach also work well instead of herbs.
Just like the herbs, feel free to exchange the walnuts and pumpkins seeds for whatever nuts and seeds you enjoy or have on hand. I personally love to add toasted pine nuts or almonds, but the kids will eat the walnuts and pumpkin seeds so I usually go with that version.
Quinoa and Herb Salad Ingredients
- 1/2 a cup of quinoa
- 1-2 cups of fresh herbs roughly chopped eg basil, parsley, coriander and mint
- 1 green capsicum roughly chopped
- 1/2 a cup of walnuts or pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Generous pinch of salt
- Cook the quinoa – in a small saucepan bring 200 ml of water to the boil, add the quinoa, stir, cover and take off the heat.
- Allow the quinoa to sit covered for 30 minutes (can be made ahead)
- Add all of the ingredients to a serving bowl
- Gently combine and serve